Asthma in Australia 2008 

Table 2.2
Prevalence of ever being diagnosed with asthma among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, 1999–2003

Location (source)

Year

Population

Age range

No. in survey

Rate (%)

95% CI

Ever had asthma

Western Australia(1)

2001–2002

Indigenous

0–3 years

 

16.8

14.3–19.5

 

 

 

4–11 years

 

25.6

23.2–28.0

 

 

 

12–17 years

 

24.4

21.4–27.6

 

 

 

0–17 years

5,513

23.2

21.6–24.9

Australian Capital Territory (2)

1999–2001

Indigenous primary school entrants(a)

4–6 years

203

27.6

21.8–34.2

Ever had wheezing or whistling in chest

Western Australia (1)

2001–2002

Indigenous

0–3 years

 

32.5

29.5–35.8

 

 

 

4–11 years

 

28.4

25.9–31.1

 

 

 

12–17 years

 

24.0

21.0–27.3

 

 

 

0–17 years

5,513

28.0

26.2–29.9

Ever had asthma (‘short wind’)

Remote communities, North Queensland (3)

1999

Indigenous

0–17 years

1,650

15.8

14.0–17.6

Ever had short wind (asthma)

Torres Strait region, Qld (4)

2003

All persons(b)

5–17 years

315

12.2

8.5–15.8

 

(a) In comparison, the prevalence of ‘ever had asthma’ among non-Indigenous primary school entrants was 23.5% (95% CI = 22.7–24.3%).

(b) 95.3% of the sample population were Indigenous and the remaining 4.7% were non-Indigenous.

Sources: (1) Western Australian Child Health Survey, Zubrick et al. 2004; (2) Glasgow et al. 2003; (3) Valery et al. 2001; (4) Valery et al. 2008.

 

<< Return to List of Tables >>

<< Return to Table of Contents >>

 

© Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2008